Chmod 777 to a folder and all contents [duplicate]
You can give permission to folder and all its contents using option
-R i.e Recursive permissions.
But I would suggest not to give 777 permission to all folder and it’s all contents. You should give specific permission to each sub-folder in www directory folders.
755 permission for security reasons to web folder.
sudo chmod -R 755 /www/store
Each number have meaning in permission. Do not give full permissions.
N Description ls binary 0 No permissions at all --- 000 1 Only execute --x 001 2 Only write -w- 010 3 Write and execute -wx 011 4 Only read r-- 100 5 Read and execute r-x 101 6 Read and write rw- 110 7 Read, write, and execute rwx 111
- First Number 7 – Read, write, and execute for user.
- Second Number 5 – Read and execute for group.
- Third Number 5 – Read and execute for other.
If your production web folder have multiple users, then you can set permissions and user groups accordingly.
- Understanding File Permissions: What Does “Chmod 777″ Mean?
- What file permissions should I set on web root?
- Why shouldn’t /var/www have chmod 777